For the Paste:
- 1 medium sized onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 inch cube ginger, sliced
- 2 pureed tomato (boiled and skinned)
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 3/4 tsp Coriander powder
- 1/4 tsp white pepper powder
- 1 tsp. shrimp paste,
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1-2 whole red chillies
- 2 Tbsp. chilli paste
- 1/2 stalk fresh lemongrass, minced (keep the remaining stock to be used in the chicken curry)
- 3 Tbsp. thick coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp. fish sauce/Soy sauce
For the Curry:
- 1/2 Kg Chicken, cut pieces of breast/thigh
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped in chunks
- 2 tomatoes, sliced into small chunks
- 1 cup chopped eggplant, skin left on
- 1 cup Baby Corn
- 4 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Fresh basil and coriander for garnish
- 2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- Cinnamon Stick
- Add all the paste ingredients in a blender and blend till smooth. Add more coconut milk if he paste is too thick. Don’t add any water.
- Add a little oil put lime leaves, cinnamon stick to a wok,
- Add the paste and fry for 2 minutes till the sauce gets darker.
- Add chicken pieces,in a wok, deep frying pan, or large pot.
- Bring to a gentle boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the vegetables and continue simmering another 15 minutes.
Pic Courtesy: sarwatsfamilykitchen.wordpress.com
This article was first published in zeenews.india.com