About the Writer

My photo

Not so young Fashion Graduate From National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), Delhi, India. Aspiring journalist. Amongst other eclectic hobbies, she likes writing and has written several poems and articles over her school and college life and now for a living. She would someday like to be be a more popular writer than just on her blogs. 'Tis a lady of grand splendor, who waketh in my bed every morning while the sun beckons her towards night...

Saturday, July 17, 2010

My Sins against Gender-Stereotypes





This post comes as a tag from a friends blog (the blog itself is great, and I am just calling her a friend, the blog friend way)
thought it was interesting... and I think more people should do it 

If you are a woman,
Have you ever wanted something that is considered ‘manly’ ? Like a basketball, a cell phone, a dog, a camera or a new laptop? A new car or motor bike? Ever wanted to be a pilot? A doctor or not a nurse? And the manliest want of them all – The remote!
As a kid did you enjoy playing with a bat and a ball?
There was a time when books were considered ‘manly’, women authors had to pretend to be men – would you say books are still rather manly – women should want to embroider and crochet?
If you are a man,
Have you ever wanted something that only women are supposed to want – like bags, shoes, clothes, creams, perfumes, babies, flowers? A peaceful home and a happy family? Have you ever been afraid of the dark or of insects?
As a kid did you ever want to play ‘teacher-teacher’, cooking or did you like playing with a doll? Have you ever enjoyed cooking? Bought something in pink? Loved chocolates?

So here’s a tag – Please list at least ten things you have ever wanted or done which your gender is not supposed to. The tag is called ‘My Sins against Gender-Stereotypes’. And you must

tag twelve blogging friends.


Considering the fact that my mother says that it doesn’t seem as if I am a woman is proof enough that I have more than 10, but for the sake of mankind I will stick to the numbers.

1.     Always have a very short haircut, so much so, that I have been questioned if i am sitting on a ladies seat in a bus (I’m not that manlike).
2.     Have never had BFFs who are girls, I love hanging out with guys and being one of them
3.     Whistled (and/or checked out) [at] a good looking chick cause my guy friends couldn’t
4.     Love  Counterstrike, i used to play it while my class was going on in college on a laptop
5.     Have  scored more than 50 runs in more than one match in a completely boys team, also have played "maram pitti" with them in school
6.     I smoke and I drink whiskey and rum and like it much more than cocktails or gin or vodka and can have more than 7 large drinks and still be standing and talking sane
7.     I like action movies and sci-fi movies, and enjoy them.
8.     I have always liked muscular bulky Bikes and cars (even though I haven’t learnt driving yet) more than the cute luxury cars.
9.     I don’t like ironing my clothes and dressing properly if I’m going out to get milk and eggs actually that applies to practically everyplace i go
10. I love travelling with as less as possible.. which means, its 2 t shirts, 1 set of night clothes and 1 denim(the one I’m wearing) in a school back pack, and a camera... don’t need anything else to travel
This is just the tip of the ice berg... for more details contact the friends who know me

Post a Comment